St. James Academy is seeking an English teacher for grades 6-8, who is eager to foster curiosity, collaboration and critical thinking skills among students. The candidate will be familiar with content area, proficient with technology, and display a strong work ethic.
- Teach middle school English (four sections) with instructional emphasis on skill development in the areas of literature and composition.
- Attend Department Meetings, Faculty Meetings and Professional Development activities.
- Serve as an advisor for 10+ students.
- Complete grades and progress reports regularly and communicate with families about student progress.
- Serve the school community beyond the classroom by leading a student club and attending activities.
- Collaborate with other teachers in the department, school administrators and other educators across departments and grade levels.
- Bachelor of Arts in English, MA degree preferred, but not required
- Middle School teaching experience in the area of English/Language Arts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience using tablet computers in teaching
- Good organizational skills
- Willingness to teach students with a wide variety of reading and writing skills
- Ability to manage classes of 20+ students
- Facility in employing a variety of teaching methods
- Desire to collaborate with department members on departmental goals
How to Apply / Contact
St. James Academy is a coeducational Episcopal Parish Day School serving grades PK-8. Located approximately 25 miles north of Baltimore in the heart of Maryland horse country, the campus boasts a picturesque view and state–of- the- art outdoor facilities for optimal use for both academics and extracurricular activities. St. James Academy offers, in a Christian environment, a program of excellence for the intellectual, social, emotional, spiritual, and physical development of our school community. Students are encouraged to take intellectual risks, to challenge their own assumptions, and to work cooperatively in order to understand and synthesize different points of view inclusive of gender, religion, national origin, and socioeconomic status. The program seeks to prepare each individual for life-long learning, and to live a creative and compassionate life worthy of a child of God and a contributing member of our world.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Lisa Davis, Middle School Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send all communication and documentation electronically to be considered for this position.