Part-Time Lower School Spanish Teacher
This position involves teaching Spanish to our Preschool through Second Grade. The ideal candidate would bring classroom experience as a Spanish teacher, a passion for the language, and the ability to enrich the curriculum with cultural experiences. Additionally, we seek a teacher who creates learning experiences designed to nurture the whole child’s development in a collaborative work environment that integrates interdisciplinary practices and promotes project-based learning. Experience working with Lower School-aged children with an ability to display effective classroom management is a requirement.
We are looking for candidates with:
- A passion for teaching and a love of continued learning
- Experience in teaching and developing a strong Spanish curriculum
- An affinity with technology integration
- A desire to differentiate instruction when necessary
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexibility, positivity, creativity, collaborative skills, and a growth mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Develops and implements a Spanish program that adheres to the current curriculum, gearing the program to address the needs, special talents, styles, and pace of learning of the individual child and the collective class.
- Assists in the planning and preparation of the learning environment, including setting up and maintaining the classroom learning centers and preparing and/or obtaining needed supplies, materials, and textbooks. This process should be conducted in an organized, thorough, and timely manner.
- Professionally conducts him/herself at all times, which reflects the mission and philosophy of St. James Academy.
- Establishes and maintains effective partnerships with parents through conferences, conversations, and consistent and frequent communication. Keeps parents informed about Spanish activities and the individual development of their children.
- Ensures the safety of the children at all times.
- Treats children, parents, faculty, staff, and administration with dignity and respect and practices positive approaches to discipline, as outlined in the Academy’s Discipline Policy.
- Keeps the Lower School Head apprised of children’s progress, potential problems, or needed consultation between parents, teachers, and the Lower School Head.
- Maintains and reports absences and lateness according to established procedures.
- Maintains students’ grades and reports these grades on report cards according to established procedures.
- Completes conference reports after each parent/teacher conference; reviews critical conference results with the Lower School Head.
- Attends all regularly scheduled and special faculty meetings and liturgies
- Responds to communication regarding students within 24 hours
- Responsible for the orderly arrangement, appearance, and décor of his/her classroom; maintaining sanitary conditions for faculty and students.
- On a rotating basis, will be responsible for assuming the supervision duties of arrival and/or departure carpool, recess, lunch, etc., as assigned or needed.
- Participates in recommended training programs, conferences, seminars, courses, and other professional development opportunities to further enhance professional and personal growth.
- Must be willing to fully participate with the Lower School Head in performance evaluations and assessing development activities and improvements to ensure continuing professional and personal growth.
St. James Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its hiring, education and admissions, financial aid programs, and athletic or other school-administered programs.