CFP Board Consumer Advocate shares tips on making private school affordable
- Incorporate specialized savings accounts into your financial plan: Two types of savings accounts parents should consider are Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (CESA) and Custodial Accounts (UGMAs and UTMAs). CESAs are similar to 529 plans for college, while UGMAs and UTMAs – typically considered for colleges – can be used for private schooling as well.
- Apply for financial aid: No matter your family’s wealth, be sure to fill out a school’s Parent’s Financial Statement to determine eligibility for financial aid. Many schools offer scholarship based need, and in some cases, community organizations or churches that support the school may have funds for deserving students.
- Investigate loans/ aid from outside sources: Sallie Mae offers a K-12 Family Education Loan at unpublished, but “competitive” interest rates. Another resource is Your Tuition Solution which offers pre-college education loans at fixed rates.
Testing and Application Fee
PreKindergarten & Kindergarten – $60 Prefirst- Grade 8 – $90 Apply Now
2017-2018 Annual Tuition
PreKindergarten – $ 7,000 (half day) PreKindergarten – $12,500 (full day) Kindergarten Discoveries – $13,018 (3 day: T,W Th) Kindergarten Discoveries – $14,363 (5 day) Prefirst-Grade 5 – $17,190 Grade 6-8 – $17,595
Additional Annual Charges
Books and Supply Fee – $550 Activity Fee (Kindergarten-Grade 5) – $200 Activity Fee (Grade 6-8) – $250
To apply for financial assistance that is processed by School and Student Services (SSS) please follow these guidelines:
- Financial Assistance forms may be completed on line at http://sssbynais.org. Click on the prompt to begin your Parent Financial Statement (PFS). You only need to complete one PFS even if you have several children applying to our school. To contact the SSS Customer Service Center for questions, please call 1-800-344-8328.
- PFS forms must be submitted by January 15th. Forms submitted after that date may not be processed in time for consideration by the SJA Finance Committee.
- Please provide the Academy Business Office with: • A full copy of your PFS, including attachments; and • A copy of the first page only of your most current Federal Form 1040.
- The Finance Committee meets in February. Determination will be made at that time and recipients will be notified by mail of financial assistance awards.
- *Please note that our SJA school code is 6506