St. James Academy’s Mission Statement affirms the development of the whole child by providing a place to grow intellectually, spiritually, physically, emotionally, and socially. The curriculum fosters this mission by providing the technology to prepare our children for productive and responsible living in the twenty-first century. Students are provided opportunities to learn technology skills through guided activities that integrate with the classroom curriculum. Technology is used as a tool to enhance teacher and student productivity, efficiency, creative expression, communication, and access to information.
As students progress from Kindergarten through Eighth Grade, their curiosity is encouraged and knowledge of applications and hardware increase. Students develop greater independence in exploring information and resources and increase their ability to take charge of their own learning. In Sixth Grade, students receive a school issued laptop. The laptop and wireless environment facilitate independence, organization, and project based learning. The Design Cycle is used as a model for learning and allows students to investigate, plan, create, and evaluate their work. Throughout the process, collaboration and ethical behaviors are encouraged.
At St. James Academy students have access to interactive classrooms equipped with multimedia projectors, smart boards, document cameras, and a host of other equipment to engage students and enhance learning. In addition students will take advantage of a fully outfitted Makerspace, Challenge lab, and Studio where they are able to work individually and in small groups to brainstorm, create, and experience hands on learning.
- Write and wipe tables for brainstorming and collaboration
- Lego robotics kits
- LIttle Bits classroom pack
- Professional slow motion camera
- Electronics cart complete with soldering irons, individual components, wires and other prototyping equipment
- Arduino boards
- 3-D printer for on demand fabrication
- An arrays of tools for cutting, drilling, and fabrication of projects.
1 to 1 Laptop program for Middle School, iPad Cart & Classroom iPads, and a computer Lab with software to encourage productivity.
- Large screen iMac computers
- Macbook and Macbook Air laptops
- Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- Google apps for education
- Apple productivity suite
- Multiple Programming environments
- Insparation, Kidsparation
- Kidpix, GIMP, Adobe
- iLife suite
- Typing and keyboarding programs
- Apps to support collaboration and reinforce classroom learning
- Color copier for student use
Radio and TV Studio
- Students experience the thrill and responsibility of producing live broadcasts
- Students gain experience in public speaking
- Dedicated equipment for audio / video editing and production
- Chroma key (green screen) capabilities